Rabbi Simmonds’ Halochas - past and present.
1. If you are using your garden on Shabbos ,and want to carry out food furniture toys from the house etc, you must make sure the garden is properly enclosed. Just because it is a private garden does not mean that it is Halachically a “private area” “RESHUS HAYOCHID”. If you are not sure seek competent advice on the issue
2. Climbing up/ on trees or use of a tree house is not permitted on Shabbos.
3. Take care when carrying drinks not to spill any on the soil or grass.
4 Sand in a sandbox/shell/sand pit(in an enclosed garden) may be played with by children as long as it is dry.If it is moist then children aged over 3 or 4 should not play with it
METHOD OF TEVILLAH
1) Labels, dirt and glue etc to be removed first(see below)
2) It is correct to immerse your hands in the mikveh first
3) If it is an item requiring tevillah with a beracha, the beracha is made first.
4) If there are several items have this in mind when saying the beracha,and if possible change
the word at the end from "Keli" to "Kelim"
5) When immersing allow the water to pass over and into the entire item, loosening your grip momentarily to allow the water to pass under your fingers, taking care not to drop it. A wire basket/net bag can be used eg for cutlery etc.
Some of Laws of cooking on Yom Tov by Rabbi Benjy Simmonds
(an outline only please ask in any specific situations)
1. Cooking may only be done for the same day of yom tov.
2. If yom tov falls on Shabbos, the laws of Shabbos prevail.
3. Cooking may only be done from a source of heat, that is already in existence, on no account must a new fire be made on Yom Tov where none previously existed.
4. A gas stove that has a pilot light that burns constantly may be lit except where it has electronic ignition. If there is electronic ignition, it may not be lit.
5. One may not switch on an electric stove.
6. One may lower a gas flame to prevent food being burned or over cooked.(But not extinguish it).
7. One may not lower an electric light.
8. If you want to take a light by a match from an existing flame e.g. a candle, the match should be lit by the flame itself not just by the heat of the flame,
9. One should not cook more than is necessary for that day of yom tov (there are exceptions under strictly defined conditions, please ask).
10 .Nothing should be cooked on Yom Tov which could have been cooked before and would be equally as good.If it was not cooked before,it should only be done with an alteration (shinui).
Before immersion,the utensil must be clean free of stickers and labels,rust glue etc
Wet ones hand first before using it to perform the Tevillah.
The Beracha is said PRIOR to immersing the Keli, no conversation should take place between the beracha and the tevilah.
The entire Keli must be immersed at one time,fingers should be moved to allow water in
There is a mitzvah to immerse in a kosher mikvah any utensil used for preaparing or eating food. In many cases this is a biblical obligation.It is called Tevilllas Keylim.
All metal and glass utensils require tevillah with a Beracha.Disposable aluninium pans/containers require tevillah with a BERACHA if it si intended to use it more than once.
Tevillah without a beracha for glazed china,bone china .stoneware,porcelain.teflon.plastic coated metal.
No Tevillah reuired for plastic.rubber wood earthenware.
There is a mitzvah, immerse in a Kosher Mikvah any utensil used for preparing or eating food. In many cases this is a bilical obligation.